Sunday

30 Day Writing Challenge:They Played My Song

They Played My Song. And we laughed. Mike over at We Work for Cheese should remember this one. I think it was his idea. Back when we were attending University, I would call up the campus radio station and make a request. I would request the same song every time.

Now the campus radio station was not required to follow any particular guidelines, for example as dictated by the CRTC. Pretty much anything was allowed just as long as no discriminatory language was used. But most of the student announcers were unaware of this. 

So, we would call and request a Soundgarden song. The song was Big Dumb Sex. Soundgarden considered it a spoof of the heavy metal music that preceded their grunge movement.
The lyrics would start innocently enough

Don't you don't you want to thrill me 
Don't you be afraid to tell me 
Tell me if you think it's ugly 
But now don't you want to touch it anyway 

And then the chorus would kick in.

Hey I know what to do 
I'm gonna fuck fuck fuck fuck you 
Fuck you 
Ya I know what to do 
I'm gonna fuck fuck fuck fuck you 
Fuck you I'm gonna

Most of the time you would hear the song start to fade out. Sometimes the volume would increase again as the DJ had second thoughts trying to decide what to do. Sometimes if we were lucky, it would fade in and out a few times as the announcer couldn't make up their mind if they should take the song off the air or not.
Soundgarden, Live on I-5

Once I finally got bored with requesting Big Dumb Sex, I started requesting Ty Cobb. I would of course ask them to play "That baseball song from Soundgarden, Ty Cobb".

The lyrics to Ty Cobb had very little to do with baseball

I'm sittin' in a magic hat With smoke and mirrors 
And tire rubber fires
Watch me disappear
What made it slow you down
Sucking on a ball and chain
Another motherfucker goes down the drain

Hard headed fuck you all
Hard headed fuck you all
Hard headed fuck you all
Hard headed fuck you all
Just add it up to the hot rod death toll 


Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 3, the theme is They Played My Song. Here are some of the other participants.
1. Mike  2. Unfinished Person  3. nonamedufus  4. Babs - Beetle  5. Laughing Mom  6. Linda  7. P.J.  8. Ziva  9. Mike "The Gouda" WJ  10. Linda M.  11. If I were GOuDa...  12. injaynesworld  

24 comments:

  1. Something tells me you couldn't get away with that today. And I'm from the peace and love generation so it never happened then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With call display it would be tougher to do. Unless... Hey Duf, can I borrow your phone?

      Delete
  2. Wow. I had no idea the lyrics to those songs. So nice and so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Ya, well those lyrics aren't exactly typical of all Soundgarden songs.

      Delete
  3. I honestly have never heard those comments - they were played on the radio? Hmmm of course today, they wouldn't have second thoughts, would they? "Tell me if you think it's ugly." That is FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most stations stuck with the safe songs, Loud Love, Outshine, Spoonman, Black Hole Sun...

      Delete
  4. You have to love it when college stations can get away with that. When I was in college, it was the same way. The show me and a friend did was clean, but the others on there? Sheesh! Swearing all over with no problems. But I love how the radio station at your university had people seemingly panicking when the lyrics came in. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PJ, I played it based on whether I liked it or not. But I was building a radio career so the music was secondary to the voice.

      Delete
  5. One of you should have been at the station when the other called. It would have been fun to have watched the poor DJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have brought a camera too. Then I could have had video for this post!

      Delete
  6. Somehow, I don't think it would have the same panic effect anymore. But it would be fun to find out. Do you still have their number? I award you 150 points for childish behaviour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicky, funny enough, I remembered the phone number but it has been reassigned to a plastics company.
      I checked, they don't take requests.

      Delete
  7. I can totally see how that would be fun. I must have been a frat boy in one of my past lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jayne, prank calls are great, especially when the person doesn't realize it's a prank.

      Delete
  8. And I remember when they banned Je T'aime! At least in the UK they did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For any mainstream radio station, these two songs did not get to air.

      Delete
  9. Ah memories. We could never get away with this at the major stations, but at the college level where everything was live (and the phone was never busy), no problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they were so eager to play a request because they only got 20 in a week.
      Hey, remember when I forced you to produce my show?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you really had to twist my arm :)

      Delete
  10. Hah, you were such a bad boy, requesting forbidden songs. Perfect take on the theme. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many people new Nine Inch Nails' Closer, it had to be Soundgarden.

      Delete
  11. Living in San Francisco during "The Summer of Love" and such, those lyrics are really sort of tame. But what was played in concert, is never what we heard on the radio, even then. I'm surprised Mike was as naughty as you are Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you posted the lyrics. I've never heard of these songs. Like most of the world, "Blackhole Sun" is the only one of theirs I know, but I can see now they're more fun than that depressing epic made them look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were a rotten kid.

    But a fun kid, one I would've enjoyed hanging with.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?