Friday

30 Day Writing Challenge: First Place

I first published this story on April 9th, 2012. Right after winning my hockey pool. Below is the shorter version. Click the link to read all the trash talking I delivered.



First Place
The long NHL season is finally over. For those of you who entered into a hockey pool in this 2012 season it's time to collect your winnings or, to pay up. In my case, it's about collecting all that hard earned money. Because, you see, I finished in first place. I won.

I destroyed the competition and humiliated my opponents. 
We started this pool some six years ago. It was an offshoot of another pool that started two decades ago. Some of these guys I have known since my university days. Some I have only met in the last couple years. Whichever way you slice it, I beat their sorry asses. And now on to the trash talking.



Peter finished in second place. He wins silver. He won the second place prize. So what does this mean? It means that Peter is the number one loser. You have the foresight of an NHL G.M.. Too bad it's that of Pierre Gauthier.

Ralph Always the bridesmaid and never the bride, Ralph finishes in third place. He may have won before. I can't remember. It doesn't matter. You know why? Because I won this year. 

Dave was in first place. Once. A long time ago. On October 20th. Two weeks into the season. Your team was not bad this year. It just wasn't good enough to win any money.

Rob? Serious? A rookie as your first overall pick? This isn't 1984. Super Mario is long gone. 

Ian, perhaps the burden of marriage and children have effected your winning ways. 

I will take it easy on Shaun. Even though he spells his name wrong. This man knows hockey. All it takes is for you to do your homework and prepare. That way, next year, after every second pick you won't hear each of us ask "Who?' or, "Isn't he playing in the Swedish Elite League this year?"

Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 15, the theme is First Place. Click the link to see the rest of the participants.

8 comments:

  1. I love a gracious winner. I was in an NFL Fantasy league last fall. I diced my fellow owners all season long - only to lose at the end of the year. You were smart to wait until you won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dissed them. I didn't dice them. Although I could have.

      Delete
    2. You dissed them during the season, and diced them when you lost.

      Delete
    3. But two years ago, I was in first place from week three, and fell into second place two before season's end. All the injuries piled up.

      Delete
  2. Fantasy sports are becoming so boring to me. I always forget to check and I end up donating money. I've won fantasy leagues here and there, but I always seem to lost interest.

    That being said, isn't fantasy hockey kind of like being the new kid on the block? People will let you participate, but they know nobody actually cares about you? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times we would invite everyone and the pool got really big. I prefer when it's the core group of people. Maximum ten. No less then six.

      Delete
  3. That is my EXACT philosophy for second place: number one loser. Love that. In our house we say, "Second is the first to lose." Same thing. Finally a compatriot. Mind you, I'm always first to lose so I don't know the sweet taste of victory. Love how you got to really pour salt into the wounds of the others. 'Atta boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?