Thursday

30 Day Writing Challenge: Excess


I first told this story in my post Flying is not Dangerous; Crashing is Dangerous. I had to fly out to the west coast for work. Montreal to Vancouver and back. It was a short trip, I stayed two days. The flight was about five hours in each direction. It felt as if I was on the plane longer than at my destination.

Airport Security
The most memorable part of the trip was at Trudeau airport when I was leaving Montreal. As I was flying within Canada, I did not have to pass through international security. Only having to pass through the local airport checkpoints made the check in a relative breeze. Still, there are some security checks, but the rules are pretty simple. No liquids. Not everyone could grasp this.
No Liquids or Gels
After passing through the metal detectors, a twenty-something year old guy in front of me was pulled aside by security who proceeded to go through his carry on luggage. It seems his carry on luggage was over the limit. It looked to be over the limit for a family of four. Talk about excess baggage.
From what I could gather in those brief moments, his suitcase had been too heavy, and he was already charged $100 for the over limit. So, he crammed the rest of the stuff into his carry on.

The guard asked, "Do you have any liquids?"
He replied, "No."

The guard went on to empty the bag, item by item. After she pulled out each bottle she would show it to the guy, look him in the eye with raised eyebrows and say in that voice usually reserved for that idiot child,
"This is liquid."
Then she would chuck the bottle in the garbage.
"This is liquid." Toss.
"This is liquid." Toss.
Out went the shampoo. Out went the Axe body spray. Out went the cologne. The guy looked like a douche so it was probably an expensive, smelly flavor of the month cologne, something like Bad Romance for Men.
I didn't stick around long enough to see what happened. I hope she made him pull up his pants.

Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 7, Excess the theme is . Here are some of the other participants.


13 comments:

  1. People can really be stupid sometimes. It's fine if they're the only ones affected but when you're travelling this type of thing usually holds everyone else up. (Loved the comment about the pants.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think the thirty warnings before you get to the airport would be enough.

      Delete
  2. "I hope she made him pull up his pants."

    HAHAHAHA. I wish there were pants police. Because there is an excess of people wearing their pants down around their asses and it's becoming an excess of being truly stupid! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why doesn't this fashion trend want to go away?! It's years and years and more and more guys are walking around looking like penguins.

      Delete
  3. There's one in every crows who thinks the rules don't apply to him. Even the pulling up their pants rule. Great job on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on that pants thing - two sizes too big and falling off their butts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I hope she made him pull up his pants." Ha, ha, ha! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malisa, Linda,
    Denis Leary has this amazing rant. I think it's from Lock n Load, where he goes on and on. If you don't get the movie, search for "Pull up your pants".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe his pants were loose in case he was asked to have a cavity check?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he was a Boy Scout! Always be prepared... and where clean underwear.

      Delete
  8. Bad Romance for Men cologne and he looked like a douche. I bet it was my ex-husband. Sounds exactly like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't taking names Sandra... I wish I took a picture.

      Delete

Thoughts?