Friday

French

While I occasionally write about politics - mostly election night coverage - I try to stay away from divisive politics. Growing up in Montreal, in the province of Quebec, talk of language tends to lead to language rights and leads to the divisive politics that, I may debate among friends, I choose not to write about here. Except on the rare occasions.

So let's talk about French and French Canadians, and therefore English Canadians. Let me clarify. We aren't French Canadians. Some are. Most aren't. What I mean to say is, we are French speaking. Or on the other hand, we are not English Canadians, we are English speaking Canadians.

These are old terms borrowed from centuries past that now identify language and not culture or nationality. You would not identify an American as an English American unless they were originally from the U.K.


The common use of the terms become colloquialisms and through regular and modern usage a term changes meaning. Within Quebec and the rest of Canada, the terms are understood, for the most part. My experience with those outside would lend to the belief that we are all from France or England.

The other misconception that I have experienced is the number of people who do not know that there is an English speaking population in Montreal and Quebec. Let us say that these beliefs may be in the minority. When someone in Vancouver, for example, compliments my use of the English language, I am bewildered momentarily, until I realize that the person with whom I am conversing believes I am French speaking due my living on the Island of Montreal. Didn't you just hear me say my name is Shawn? Not English sounding enough for you?

What offends me is not being mistaken for someone who speaks French as their mother tongue. I wish I spoke the language that well. I take it as a compliment - if I am speaking French. What offends me are the uninformed beliefs of my fellow Canadians. Some, not all. Merci pour ta compréhension.

Today is day 8 of the thirty day writing challenge (February edition) as arranged and hosted by Nicky and Mike over at WeWorkForCheese.com. Go check out their site to see what they wrote and see all the other participants.

26 comments:

  1. I think it is a common error as with Britain, UK and England. Where do the others fit in? Because if you get it wrong, you will receive a severe tongue lashing...and I can tell you that it won't be of the kissing variety.

    Americans, in general, do not do a lot of geography and international politics in school...so that's just an instrument, a by-product, of their lax education.

    Now get into that kitchen and whip me up a souffle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I can't prepare the traditional Quebec dishes. Souffle, if I'm not mistaken is French and not a Canadian dish

      Delete
  2. It's like where I live in Aylmer, Quebec a totally bilingual community. You can speak French or English and you'll usually have no problem. Unless I, a 90% Anglophone run up against a 90% Francophone. Then we may have a challenge conversing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My schooling in French was perhaps lacking but through work I picked up a lot more. My work day is spent 50% in English & 50% in French.
      Practice is key. I also studied Italian & Hebrew and while I can still understand I cannot speak the languages. I have not practised in many years.

      Delete
  3. As an American, I think that generally our schools teach nothing about Canada and it's history. If you take a French class, you learn about areas outside of France where the language is spoken, but that is about all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't inferring that any educational system was lacking. But point taken

      Delete
  4. Good post, Shawn. The first time I went to Montreal, people told me it would be hard to get by. Then I realized it wasn't true. We ran into more Anglophones than Francophones. That being said, no matter what language is spoken, I really do love that city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as a local finds out you are a visitor or a tourist they will happily accommodate in any language.

      Delete
  5. While I have visited many parts of Canada, when I went to Montreal, I got the distinct impression that English was NOT the favored language - that even if you attempt to speak French, you will receive a smile, rather than a frown. Maybe it was just me ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends where. West End, West Island different pockets that are predominantly English speaking. Downtown is a tourist area you get a mix of both. If you say "Bonjour, I'm from out of town, I don't speak French..." you will never have an issue.

      Delete
  6. It seems like a very similar situation to the one we have over here with Swedish and Finnish. I hate trying to explain to people that I'm not Swedish, living in Finland, I'm Finnish, but I speak Swedish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I have learned something new.
      Truth be told Ziva, My knowledge of Finland is limited to what I learned about my favourite hockey players. And my knowledge of Sweden stems from what I learned at Ikea.
      :)

      Delete
    2. If you know anything about Finnish hockey players, that's really all you'll ever need to know. ;)

      Delete
    3. And on that topic, my favourite active player:
      http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Saku+Koivu+still+going+strong+with+Ducks/7940269/story.html

      Delete
    4. You know, the timing absolutely killed me. M and I got tickets to see TPS (the team he was playing for here in Turku during the lockout,) and two days before the game, he went back to North America. Crappy timing, but hey, I'm glad they're playing again. And Koivu is an incredibly player. So is Teemu Selänne, and they're sort of the typical Finn in the NHL these days. We only seem to have old men in North America right now, but as long as they're still going strong, I'm all for it. :)

      Delete
    5. That is bad timing. Saku played in Montreal for years. I was sad when he left.
      And of course his kid brother Mikko is playing in Minnesota.

      Delete
  7. The English/French thing is interesting, but a more pressing question is... got bacon? Indigo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word. Do a hard-hitting cultural analysis on Canadian bacon. What's up with that stuff? Isn't is just glorified ham slices?

      Delete
  8. It's funny, I also have been complimented on my English but usually it was by people who heard me speak French first and thought I was a francophone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I speak French people think I am Portuguese.

      Delete
  9. I'm American. I don't even know where Canada is, let alone understand the complexities of your language issues. We rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike WJ, We are the little dot on the map somewhere to the north of The Duty Free Shop

      Delete
  10. "Didn't you just hear me say my name is Shawn? Not English sounding enough for you?" That is awesome. I am the kind of person who NEVER knows where someone is from by their name.... I'm so bad about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some names, such as Richard, or Katherine, for example that can easily be English or French. With Shawn there is absolutely no way of confusing the matter.

      Delete
  11. I joked in my "French" blog entry that I know basically nothing about Montreal. The sad thing is, I really meant it. I'm glad you're around to play cultural ambassador, because I'm actually walking away from this post with a little bit of gained knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And apart from that, we've got some real good eats here too. ;)

      Delete

Thoughts?