Wednesday

30 Day Writing Challenge: Pressure


What is pressure? I thought of several ways to approach this topic. Pressure to complete this task. Pressure to meet expectations of others. Pressure from my girlfriend ;) I could not come up with an appropriate story or anecdote for Day 6 of the 30 Day Writing Challenge. In researching I started reading various quotes on Pressure and this is what I found.

Great minds comprehend more in a word, a look, a pressure of the hand than ordinary men in long conversations, or the most elaborate correspondence.
Johann Kaspar Lavater


Hermits have no peer pressure.
Steven Wright


When you take a drug to treat high blood pressure or diabetes, you have an objective test to measure blood pressure and the amount of sugar in the blood. It is straight-forward. With autism, you are looking for changes in behaviour.
Temple Grandin

Pressure is when you play for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket.
Lee Trevino
Beer Pressure
There is a great deal of political pressure to only talk about abstinence, and to deny support for condoms and education on using them. This policy will lead to the unnecessary deaths of many people.
Hillary Clinton

I come from a long line of fighters. My maternal grandfather was the toughest guy I ever knew. World War II veteran, killed 20 men, then spent the rest of the war in an Allied prison camp. My father battled blood pressure and obesity all his life. Different kind of fight.
Dwight Shcrute, The Office, Episode: The Fight (2005)


Some other things I don't miss: the media and the pressure of just being asked to do, and being asked questions every day.
Pedro Martinez


Yeah that's right. I stepped up! She's my friend and she needed help. And if I have to I'd pee on any one of you. Only, I couldn't... I got the stage fright. I wanted to help, but there was just too much pressure. So, so I turned to Chandler.
Chandler Bing, Friends, Episode: The One with the Jellyfish (1997)

"Serenity now! Serenity now!"
"What is that?"
"The doctor gave me a relaxation cassette. When my blood pressure gets too high, the man on the tape tells me to say 'serenity now!'"
"Are you supposed to yell it?"
"The man on the tape wasn't specific."
Frank Costanza and Cosmo Kramer, Seinfeld, Episode "The Serenity Now" (1997)


Full of Hot Air Pressure
Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 6, the theme is Pressure. Here are some of the other participants.


12 comments:

  1. Love the Steven Wright quote. I wonder how much pressure he was under to come up with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wright has some great quote...

      “Did you sleep well?"
      "No, I made a couple of mistakes.”

      Delete
  2. The Steven Wright quote made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another quote from Wright
      “I intend to live forever. So far, so good.”

      Delete
  3. "Hermits have no peer pressure." *priceless*

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hermits have no peer pressure." So true! I liked the Trevino one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Steven Wright and Lee Trevino quotes were the best. Nicely done with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like quotes. I used to keep big books of copies of quotes. Thank goodness for interenet! With a few keystrokes, one can get a multitude of quotes about any subject. Things sure have changed for the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about this the other day Malisa. Isn't Twitter a decent replacement for the old book of quotes?

      Delete
  7. Nice, diverse selection of quotes. 250 points. Emailing a friend for a favour at 6:30 in the morning? -100. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?