Thursday

30 Day Writing Challenge: The Short Hairs

I have been cutting my own hair for the last six years. I used to have long hair. It used to flow down passed my shoulders. And now, grows on them. After I finally picked up the courage to cut off my flowing locks, the barber always wanted to use a razor to cut my short hair.
"I'm paying $25 for this?!" I cried. "I'm buying a razor. I can do that!"

No I couldn't.

The first couple times I cut my hair, it looked like I had a nervous breakdown and I pulled a Britney Spears. But over six years I have learned the proper way to cut your hair. Even managed to figure out how to cut in the back using two mirrors.

And now six months and three haircuts into my relationship with my awesome girlfriend, she wants, nay, insists, that I start going to a barber again.
$25 for a haircut?! I can do this!
The "Ohara" Haircut

Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 14, the theme is The Short Hairs. Here are some of the other participants. nonamedufus  Babs - beetle  Linda  Laughing (1 year Older and Wiser?) Mom  If I were God... 
Barb  Wendy  Leeuna  MsDarkstar  Sandra  

18 comments:

  1. I can't remember when I last went to the hairdressers. I have cut my own (and my families) hair most of my life, though I did do a stint in a hair salon many years ago, which helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good skill to have. I'm decent with a razor. But a real haircut?

      Delete
  2. This is awesome!! The 25 bucks may be money worth spent. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't complain about $25 - you should see what women pay to get our hair done!!! Truthfully - I cut my sons hair for years, mostly because he couldn't sit still for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For women, it's $25 just to make an appointment.

      Delete
  4. $25 for a haircut? How much did you spend on the bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You poor thing, I can't believe you posted that picture. I'm afraid you are going to make into the Hair Hall of Fame (yes, its a blog) ...
    It is time to retire your scissors.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIke I said, that's not me. No picture so me here.

      Delete
  6. $25? Holy crap. Glad that type of inflation isn't here! I pay 14 and that's only because I go to a gal I went to school with. Barbers around here are like 7-10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are the places here that charge $10. There are also the places that charge $100.

      Delete
  7. I was doing my own trims for a while too, but my soon to be wife insisted I started going to a 'real' barber. What was I, unreal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have received a stay. Last night she said, 'you know, you did a good job.'

      Delete
  8. Yeah, I've been doing my own hair for awhile, too. I only do a "trim" and it seems that the only hair that ever grows back is that which is in front of my eyes.

    Hmm ... I might have thought you would have gone with, "Shawn O'Haira" as your moniker for this post. It's well done either way (but then I can't see your last cut). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! Didn't think of it! I may hire you to write my headlines. I can pay you with free haircuts.

      Delete
  9. Glad that's not your picture! Still I find it's better to leave the cutting to those who don't have to use mirrors.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?