Sunday

30 Day Writing Challenge: Babysitter

I babysat once as a teenager. Only once. I was thirteen. My neighbours were desperate. They were so desperate they called me. I refused. They pleaded. I had no choice. I worked for two hours. And I was bored. I watched TV. I did homework. I read. I ate all the chocolate bars from the kids' Halloween loot bags. But, for some reason, it was a looooong two hours. I got paid $4.00. What a rip off. And that was before they even knew I ate all the chocolate bars. Had they known I ate the chocolate then it may have been a good deal. But they didn't. So they were cheap. Come to think of it, that may have been the going rate back then. They never called me to babysit again. Win win no matter which way.
 The two essential guides for babysitting
Babysitter's Handbook
Babysitter's Handbook II

Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day Babysitter, the theme is 10. Here are some of the other participants.

11 comments:

  1. Yeah, I used to babysit the neighbours' kids from time to time. The pay wasn't bad. And once I found one guy's Playboy stash it really didn't matter how much they paid me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget what I said to Nathaniel below. A magazine always helps pass the time.

      Delete
  2. Interesting story, sorry to hear you got ripped off, but hey! You got chocolate out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only that would have made it better was if there was ice cream.

      Delete
  3. Punk kid! Only got paid $4.00 for 2 hours? You would have gotten zero if you were at home doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it would have been my house, my TV, my stuff... I think the fact that I got paid tainted the lazy atmosphere.

      Delete
  4. I never officially babysat. Our neighbor's kids occasionally stayed with us some, but they were staying with the family and I would watch them some as opposed to me babysitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an adult I have watched my nieces and nephews and my friends kids. They don't pay me anything.

      Delete
  5. Haha!!! I babysat in the 80's. The going rate was $1.50/hour. I had one family offer me $2/hr and I was in my glory and all the other babysitters in the neighborhood tried to steal my job. So....$2/hour AND chocolate?? That is a babysitter's wet dream. At least it was in the 80's!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I babysat you. I was not paid. Sometimes you tried to beat me up. Ah sweet memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are you?

      Just kidding. The parents thought it would be a good idea. We learned faster than they did.

      Delete

Thoughts?