Thursday

30 Day Writing Challenge: The Turning Point


The Turning Point is a 1977 film about about friends and competition in the world of ballet. Shirley Maclaine plays the mother (DeeDee) who abandoned her dreams of the stage when she became pregnant. Her rival, played by Anne Bancroft, followed her ambitions and pursued a career in dance.
Also starring Tom Skerrit and Mikhail Baryshnikov, the film garnered 11 Oscar nominations, the most without ever winning (tied with the Color Purple).

The intensity of the lifelong friendship of these two women, and their rivalry, is laid out as the film follows Deedee's daughter, Emilia, her mother and her little brother to New York, where Emilia joins the Ballet Theater's school.

While a movie about dance, the movie is focuses more so on the people in it. Although, the dancing scenes choreographed by Alvin Ailey, are well remembered, the film is mostly about the women,with most of the men playing background characters.

Had I done some proper research, and since I was in Hoboken, I would have just gone to the Turning Point restaurant and done a review.


Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 28, the theme is The Turning Point.


10 comments:

  1. Hey, there's only tutu days to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tutu days to go - Ha ha ha!

    I'm not sure if I saw this movie, or just excerpts from it, but I remember it, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike - I mentioned the movie in my post too!

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how many nominations some films get there are some I'll never try to see.
    This is one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned above to Babs, I don't think I saw it. But that hasn't stopped me from writing film reviews before

      Delete
  5. I think I have actually seen this... a long long time ago! I recognize the picture... I wonder if they still have this in the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must Katherine. Check out the Betamax section.

      Delete

Thoughts?