Monday

30 Day Writing Challenge: A Sense of Accomplishment

Starting out as a young and immature radio announcer I had a couple very basic goals. Admittedly my biggest goal was already met, I was doing exactly what I wanted to do, I was working in radio. I was on the air. Nonetheless, basic as they were I had a couple more goals. 

One, I wanted to hear myself on the air. That was accomplished when I started recording commercials. Driving in my car I was able to hear my voice on the ads the station aired.

The second goal speaks more to my sense of humour, or perhaps my maturity level. For a number of years I had said to myself, if I ever become a Traffic Reporter, I would do this one thing. Montreal has a East-West running highway called the Ville Marie Expressway. One shift, for the entirety of my shift, I referred to the highway as the Bill Murray Expressway.

As far as I know, nobody noticed. At the time, I couldn't decide if I wanted people to notice or if I preferred the private chuckle. With my goals completed I had a complete sense of accomplishment.
This is me in the 1930s, when I went by the name Ronald Reagan


Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 11, the theme is  A Sense of Accomplishment .

9 comments:

  1. And if a cop was chasing a speeding chevrolet on Ville Marie? You'd have a Chevy Chase on Bill Murray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried for a proper response but the only thing I could come up with was a reference to the Andrew "Dice" Clay movie character Ford Fairlane.

      Delete
  2. There's nothing I can say that will top Dufus' comment. So, 150 points for you and 100 to Dufus for being the punniest man alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Duf wins. Let's end this 30 day challenge at day 12.

      Delete
  3. That's an awesome accomplishment. My radio "career" basically was doing college radio and then some sports post-graduation. I always hated hearing my voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredibly fun job. And a stressful job. I sleep much better now.

      Delete
  4. I dated a radio announcer... do I get points? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends how many dates you went on. The longer you can put up with one of us the more points you get.

      Delete
  5. Mkay, Ron .... that cracks me up that no one noticed.
    I agree nonamedufus wins points for his comment - he is a funny guy.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?