Saturday

30 Day Writing Challenge: Magic Carpet

While I was a university student I was the G.M. of the campus radio station. It was a 24-hour 7-day a week operation featuring an eclectic mix of music and people. Side by side with the grunge and popular music of the day we featured Jazz, Metal and Blues and whatever else we felt like airing. Every radio station in Montreal features talent that came up through a Concordia University radio station.

Steppenwolf The Second, Magic Carpet Ride
One winter we ran a cross-promotion with one of the new concert bars. Backstreet had amazing sight lines, great ventilation and a new sound system. We would publicize a show, and in exchange we would have access to the talent, the show and interviews. What was to be the first of many cross-promotions, the talent in this case was Steppenwolf, one of my all time favourite bands.

I was going to interview John Kay! We ran the ads, we hung the posters. As the day of the big event arrived, all that I was waiting for was the phone call to tell me when and where to meet the band and at the same time I would submit the names to the guest list. I waited. And I waited. I called seven times. I waited some more. I never got the call.

We got screwed. We promoted the show. We received nothing in return. The next day I left one more message telling the owner his ads had been pulled, and he and his bar have been blacklisted from the radio station. Word spread around campus. I do not know if we had any influence but I do know Backstreet closed down. The place is still there under a new banner, a new name and maybe the same owners, I have no idea. I never got to meet John Kay of Steppenwolf. They remain one of my favourite bands.

From Steppenwolf's 1968 album, The Second, this is Magic Carpet Ride.

STEPPENWOLF MAGIC CARPET RIDE

Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 9, the theme is Magic Carpet. Here are some of the other participants.
1. Mike  2. Unfinished Person  3. nonamedufus  4. Babs - Beetle  5. Laughing Mom  6. Linda  7. P.J.  8. Ziva  9. Mike WJ  10. Linda M.  11. If I were god...  12. injaynesworld  


8 comments:

  1. Well, that truly sucks my friend. Goddamn, the pusher man. (That's all I got.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always someone who will abuse others. I hope you helped to close him down ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To this day though it is a great venue. I didn't go back until it changed banners.

      Delete
  3. It always really disappoints me when somebody screws me over. I really would never do that intentionally, and it shocks me when someone does. I'm glad the bastards shut down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious if the guy is still in the biz...

      Delete
  4. I used to work in a club and I got familiar with the type of people who run them. They're not good businessmen for the most part, not real organized. So many fly by the seat of their pants. When things get hectic a lot just falls through the cracks. If you weren't in regular contact with them prior to concert day they may well have just forgot about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAG, It was a little more than that. I didn't write all the details. He would have been in breach of contract and there would have been several discussions prior to all this. But I get what you are saying. I had been around the scene, my friends as musicians, myself as a DJ and it is just as you say.

      Delete

Thoughts?