Saturday

30 Day Writing Challenge:A Roadblock


We all suffer from writer's block at one time or another. A roadblock. Often we put to much pressure on ourselves (A 30 day Challenge perhaps) or we set unrealistic goals.

We are all creators. Whether at work or at school, you blog, you tweet.

If you've been at it long enough, you have your own solutions to breaking through writer's block. A simple solution is a change of pace, a breath of fresh air or a cup of joe. Sometimes we are tied to our computers and can't take that walk. What do you do? Here are a few ideas I put together so you can break through that roadblock.

  1. Take a break - a few minutes or a few days. Listen to music or read a book. Create ideas. Stop forcing ideas.
  2. Use your language tools - grab a thesaurus, find that word to change things up and get you over the hump
  3. Develop Ideas - go through your old notes, saved email, diaries or journals. 
  4. Communicate - Speak to people, write to people, ask them questions.
  5. Jot - Don't write, jot down notes, scribble ideas, create a flowchart. 
  6. And if that doesn't work, take a news story that intrigued you and rewrite it, add your own perspective.

Mike and Nicky over at We Work for Cheese have forced invited us to participate in this 30 Day Creative Writing Challenge . Today is Day 2, the theme is A Roadblock. Here are some of the other participants.
1. Mike  2. Unfinished Person  3. nonamedufus  4. Babs - Beetle  5. Laughing Mom  6. Linda  7. P.J.  8. Ziva  9. Mike "The Gouda" WJ  10. Linda M.  11. If I were GOuDa...  12. injaynesworld  

14 comments:

  1. All good suggestions. When I get a roadblock I drink. Somehow this seems to make things worse, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink.
      And I sometimes write.
      I just don't publish when I drink.

      Delete
  2. Or you could do what Mike does and post a picture of a cat. Because there really aren't enough cats on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought Mike would become a Cat Blogger. We should warn him, it's a short path from Cat Blogger to Mommy Blogger.

      Delete
    2. I'm well aware of the dangers and will take my chances. Thank you very much.

      Delete
    3. I think I hit a nerve. Mike? Are you pregnant?

      Delete
  3. Great ideas - I tend to just walk away in a funk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have acknowledged to myself that while there are days I have several ideas, there are months where I have few ideas and I just have to let it flow

      Delete
  4. A lot of good suggestions here. It's true, we all struggle for ideas from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had been able to read this before today so I could have had a post for today's prompt. Alas, now I have to wait until tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are excellent suggestions. I also like to carry a notebook with me, so whenever I come up with an idea -- even a silly one -- I write it down. That way, when really in a pinch, I have ideas written down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming around to the site PJ. When I am on a flight I have my notebook with me. Otherwise I rely on my phone. I usually have 10 or 12 memos at any given time.

      Delete

Thoughts?