Monday

Tolstoy: 30 Days of Photographs

For some reason, today's theme in the 30 days of photographs challenge is Tolstoy. As I aim to read his works in the original published language of Russian, my intention is to study the Russian language. Learning Russian will also help my communication with the in-laws and extended family and friends. Not that they don't speak English, but at gatherings with that side of the family, conversations invariably turn to Russian with me sitting there staring at the wall until my wife starts translating for me.

But then I found this book. Learn Russian in four easy steps. Unfortunately each step takes three years.

Learn Russian
MikeWJ and Ziva threw together this month's photo challenge. Click on their names to see who else participated. And save the link www.StubbornFool.com and come back here same time tomorrow for another photo for this month's challenge.

15 comments:

  1. You should drink vodka. I find the more I drink the better I speak French with my in-laws. And the more I like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered when I drink I lose the ability to speak in any language other than English.

      Delete
  2. I think that Russian would be a very hard language to learn. Then again, I think any language would be hard for me to learn now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Shawn. I've lived right next door to Russia for almost 30 years, and all I can say is Da and Njet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about, "Chasto syuda prikhodish?"

      Delete
    2. Well yes of course, you always need a good pick up line. ;)

      Delete
  4. Ahahaha! Count me out of learning Russian. I've been having enough trouble with Italian, and at least they use the same alphabet! Even if theirs is shorter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Learn Russian in four easy steps. Unfortunately each step takes three years." HA!!

    I think I know like 5 Russian words like, how to say "fuck you" and how to say "beautiful." But that's about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ziva is probably lying about her Russian. (Hey, that sentence could be interpreted in a dirty way. Cool.) She speaks so many languages I've lost count of them. And even if she doesn't speak Russian, it would probably take her a few months to speak it fluently. Perhaps you could talk her into being your interpreter and save yourself 12 years of hard labor. Why does anything Russian always involve hard labor, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Shawn, but this cracked me up. 3 years for each course? Dear gawd, you ought to be committed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only 3 years? It took me 5. Kidding. I know njet. Nice choice for today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll never know if your wife is really translating or not until you learn the language, Comrade Shawn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love that artwork... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Russian seems like an extremely difficult language to master if you're not Russian. Three years per step - yikes!.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?