Sunday

Things I Don't Say Anymore

Today is day 17 of the thirty day writing challenge (February edition) as arranged and hosted by Nicky and Mike over at WeWorkForCheese.com. Go check out their site to see who else is participating and read some more great stories. But first read on. Today's theme is Whatever, dude.



Back in February of 2011, I published a post called, I've Got a Boner. As I wrote then, I was going to call it 'Things I don't say anymore', but, 'I've got a boner' had a better ring to it.

It was basically a list of words and expressions that are no longer in use, or at least that I no longer use:
  • Airhead replaced the less popular "space cadet"
  • Barf Me Out - Were you a Valley Girl? Never a term I used. Perhaps the poor cousin of "Gross".
  • Big Time - I used this for a while, big time.
  • Bite me - Later became 'Eat me'. Eat me was the better term because not only could it be a response to an offending question, not only an insult, but also a slightly humorous slightly flirtatious comment to be made at inappropriate times. Trust me, I have made plenty of inappropriate comments at inappropriate times.
  • Bubba - replaceable with "man", as in "Hey man" or "Hey bubba". This came out of the late 90s TV series Nash Bridges. I used it from time to time and the expression caught on just as much as the TV show. That's to say, not a whole lot. A colleague of mine had a man crush on me and overheard me using it. Eleven years later he still calls me bubba.
  • 'Sup - As in 'What is Up?', or 'How are you?'
  • As if! - Popularized by Alicia Silverstone in Clueless.
  • Don't go there! - One of the most overused expressions. So, please, don't go there.
  • Dude - Another 80s term that resurfaced. Use it as a noun or as an exclamation. 'Hey dude'. Or, 'Dude!'.
  • Any variation of Dude, including Whatever, Dude.
  • TMI - Too much information.
  • Doy - A bastardization of 'Duh'. The sarcastic 'No Shit'.
  • Keep it wet - No clue how this started, or what the hell it means. But it was used as a goodbye greeting.
  • Woof - See previous. Could be used as a welcome greeting as well.
There are more out there, great expressions and insults to really pwn someone. Damn! I can't think of any more. Any good ones to add? Any tired outdated expressions?

18 comments:

  1. Shawn, I'm a big "woof" fan; I often received it as a greeting from a diabetic friend of mine. Tho, in all honesty, it might have been the sugar talking. Indigo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my asthmatic friends always wheezes at me.

      Delete
  2. So would you hate me if I used any of those?

    I'm guilty of 'sup ....

    BTW - where can I find my own wheezy-greeting asthmatic friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't hate you.
      I still use 'cool'.

      I met my asthmatic friends in physics class.

      Delete
  3. Oh, for someone who isn't a native speaker, this is a veritable gold mine of useful expressions. Thank you, dude! Keep it wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remarkable! You used the perfect syntax and you have captured the subtlety of the expression with perfection.

      Delete
  4. Talk to the hand? :)

    Good list though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that one!

      And now I am trying to forget about it again. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Wherever the person is who is using that expression.

      Delete
  6. Here are some of the things I never say anymore:

    Would you like fries with that?
    No thanks, I've had enough.
    I'd like you to meet my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer say:

      What do you think of when you hear Amway?
      Can I pray for you?
      How much is it for just one hour?

      Delete
  7. What a LIST! GAG ME WITH A SPOON! :)

    The funniest part? I said EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say 'sup and dude pretty much all the time. This either makes me a relic, or the coolest guy ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hang on to our glory days. Man and cool would be the two that I use the most.

      Delete
  9. I try to avoid most of the current slang... if I do try to say any of it, it ends up sounding pretty phony, like I'm trying WAY too hard. Besides, when you work with wee ones like I do, "Keep it Wet" has a whole different meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha! You might want to try, "Please stay dry."

      Delete

Thoughts?