Friday

Or Else

Love or Peace or Else is the fourth track from U2's 2004 release How To Disarm and Atomic Bomb. The album, produced by Steve Lillywhite, with additional production credits going to Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno and others.

Four singles were released from the album, each meeting with success worldwide and charting at least number one and number two in several countries.


Vertigo was the first single release and went 2X platinum for digital downloads. The remainder of the singles were follow ups in 2005. All Because of You, Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own followed by City of Blinding Lights.


In the more innovative sounding Love or Peace or Else the band strides into world affairs, begging for an end of atomic weapons and commenting on the affairs of Middle East, with pleads for peace


Lay down
Lay down your guns
All your daughters of Zion
All your Abraham Sons



U2 formed in Dublin 1978 when Larry Mullen Jr. posted a "musician's wanted" ad on a school wall. In 1980 the band signed a deal with Island Records. U2's first single, 11 O'clock Tick-Tock, was released in May 1980. Boy, their debut album, was released five months later - promoted by another single, I Will Follow.


Rolling Stone ranked U2 at number 22 in its list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time". Twelve studio albums and nine live albums, over 150 million sold, and 22 Grammies later the band is among the all-time best-selling music artists.

Today is day 15 of the thirty day writing challenge (February edition) as arranged and hosted by Nicky and Mike over at WeWorkForCheese.com. Go check out their site to see what they wrote and to see who else participated.

12 comments:

  1. I have that CD. Haven't had it out in a while. I think it's time for a listen. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duf. I loved their 1st 4 albums when they came out. Hated Joshua Tree initially. And then rediscovered their entire discography probably in 2000 and now I like Joshua Tree. But I can't forgive them for what they did to Helter Skelter.

      Delete
  2. Didn't realize Lanois and Eno were part of the production team. Last time I saw those names listed it was for Peter Gabriel. That tells you how long ago I bought an "album", doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanois has some amazing solo work. And Bob Dylan's best albums from the last 20 years are produced by Lanois.

      Delete
  3. Really? Only 22nd? I would have thought they rated higher on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having review the top 21, I was only surprised about one band that was listed before them and that was Velvet Underground.
      Here's the link http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231

      Delete
  4. Oh, nice take on the theme, Shawn. I'd actually never heard this song before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those U2 boys sound like a bunch of pot-smoking hippie liberals to me.

    Great album, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those kids and their rock and roll music. What's the world coming to, I tell ya?

      Delete
  6. I don't mind some of their stuff, but I dunno... for some reason, I've never really been into U2 all that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some have said the band has become more famous then their music. I liked their music from the start and have had Boy in my collections isnce it was first released.

      Delete

Thoughts?