Thursday

Where Can I Get a Good Blintz?

If your questions is where can I get a good blintz?  Then start at Krazy Cmak on Somerled Avenue in Montreal. If you prefer Polish to Russian style of cooking, then perhaps Euro-Deli Batory on St. Viateur in the Mile End district will be more to your liking.

I have a better question though. Where can I get a good Portuguese dish, a great grilled piece of meat, tasty pasta, fresh fish from the catch of the day, with a pint of stout or ale? Well that would only be one place. La Cabane du Portugal on Saint Laurence Boulevard (The Main) in Montreal.


La Cabane, as it is commonly known, sits right across from its more famous neighbours Moishe's steakhouse and Schwartz's Deli. In good company but at more reasonable prices than Moishe's and a greater variety and classier seating than Schwartz's, La Cabane boasts a menu for anybody's liking.

La Cabane has been around since the early 1980s. While it is known for its excellent Portuguese cooking, it serves up a variety of great lunch, dinner and late night meals. The key, when you walk in is to check out the board of their eight daily specials which includes game meat, grills, steaks, fresh fish or salads. Or, if that doesn't grab you, their full menu will satisfy you. In addition to all those meat meals, vegetarian dishes are available too. Overall, nice sized portions and good prices.

I have been there for an afternoon beer on a hot summer day. A great lunch in the middle of winter. And I have enjoyed their supper time menus countless times.

Today is day 14 of the thirty day writing challenge (February edition) as arranged and hosted by Nicky and Mike over at WeWorkForCheese.com. Go check out their site to see what they wrote and see all the other participants.

24 comments:

  1. I always get a kick out of these "slice of life" restaurant entries. It's fun hearing somebody be passionate about someplace close to home. It just makes me a little envious, though, because I'm way the hell far away from most of the places people mention. I'm nowhere near Montreal, for example.

    Thankfully, there's a couple legit Portuguese restaurants around where I live. I guess I'll just have to make due with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funniest thing is that I didn't realize they served Portuguese food for the longest time. I always ordered from their specials and never looked at the menu

      Delete
  2. The last great Montreal restaurant I had lunch at was Stash's, a great Polish place with wonderful perogies. I'll have to try Cabane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's in Old Montreal? I heard of it but never ate there. I will have to check it out.

      Delete
  3. "The Main" sounds like the place to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Main was Montreal's traditional main street. Seven miles of history. And shops and restaurants and bars.

      Delete
  4. Well, if I'm ever in Montreal, I'll tell 'em you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second person to mention Schwartz’s! I want to hop in the car and drive up and eat there. And maybe check one of the other places, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schwartz's is world famous for their Smoked Meat sandwiches.

      Delete
  6. I think it is time I visited Montreal again ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. The hours are great. It's open seven days a week.

      Delete
  7. Oh now I'm hungry. Too bad i'm not in Montreal, I'd certainly know where to eat if I were. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got some great places here. But you can't go wrong with Mami.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, I'm with Z. Shawn - I'm HUNGRY now! Bastard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate fish for supper. Home cooked. Can't go out every night.

      Delete
  9. That is EXACTLY the kind of place I like to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot to mention, they have a couple TV screens that show whatever game is on at night.

      Delete
  10. How crazy is Krazy Cmak anyway? I'd say PRETTY CRAZY if you're spelling crazy with a "K".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's also Russian. So that has to account for one of the Ks. But pretty KKKKrazy

      Delete

Thoughts?