Monday

Road Trip

A couple months back we took another road trip to Hoboken. Two days, there and back. It looked like they have fully recovered from Hurricane Sandy. At least on a superficial level. Drove by Teaneck, NJ. Teaneck? Isn't that an insult. Wherever you go, you will probably find some amusing town names. Ho-ho-kus is another one, or Hi-Nella, and even Watchung (wasn't that an 80s band?).

Now, I've been to New Jersey several times, but it took me until now to realize that honking your horn is a requirement to obtain your drivers licence.

So, seven hours there, 23 hours in New Jersey and seven hours back. We stayed in a flea bag motel that we booked via Hotwire. Kind of a surprise when we got there. What's their slogan again? Four star hotels at two star prices? Well, hardly four star but what can you expect for $83 bucks a night. Oh, and the second surprise? Happy honeymoon baby!

Every so often you go to a restaurant and you are shocked. That's what happened the Saturday night in North Bergen. It was a surprise finding this place in what looked to be a sketchy and industrial part of town. We went to eat a La Fusta, a steak place. Not only was the food excellent but, the service was superb. The waiter was warm and friendly and as it was our first visit he gave me a beer on the house. The money he saved me on the beer, I gladly added to the waiter's tip. So, Danny, thank you for the great treatment.  And if you are in northern NJ, check out a superbly run family restaurant called La Fusta. (Today is day eleven of the thirty day writing challenge (February edition) as arranged and hosted by WeWorkForCheese.com.)

La Fusta, North Bergen

26 comments:

  1. Ohh, now I'm itching to go on a road trip and eat at new places and be pleasantly surprised. It would take me a bit longer than 7 hours to get to New Jersey, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ziva, It's a mere 11 hours of flying time, via Copenhagen and Frankfurt.

      Delete
  2. Don't you just love finding new places? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my favourite places. But finding a new great place? When it was not expected? Fantastic!

      Delete
  3. You spent your honeymoon in New Jersey? You spent $83 on a flea-bag hotel? This marriage is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went two months before the wedding. The missus didn't buy it as an early surprise.

      Delete
  4. LA Fusta - must be a fancy french place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an Argentinean place with a hint of Russian and Italian.

      Delete
  5. I love Jersey. I am so sad. I'm in Alabama. It's unnatural to take the Jersey girl out of Jersey, I tell ya...it's just not Kosher.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There ain't a whole lot of kosher in Alabama. Well, maybe in Birmingham.

      Delete
  6. I love road trips and finding great out-of-the-way places. Sometimes it's just a hole in the wall, but a place you would go out of your way to visit again. Oh, and honeymoons don't have to be fancy and expensive to be wonderful. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Linda.
      Some of the best places are holes in the wall. They don't advertise, you fall upon them or hear about them by word of mouth.

      Delete
  7. Hey Shawn! Mmmmmm, not had a good steak in a long time. I'll have to drop by sometime soon. I'm envious of your road trip! Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a client in Teaneck. Oh and you can blame the Dutch influence for all those whack town names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed the names were Native American. Maybe not Teaneck but Watchung

      Delete
  9. Jersey as a road trip, eh? Nothing like a little Ho-ho-kus to get the day going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back in the 80s, some of the best restaurants in NYC were in Hoboken. I lived there sporadically and never met a meal I didn't like and I'm not much of an eater. Glad Hoboken's still serving up surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't been back to Hoboken lately you wouldn't believe your eyes. It's a vibrant youthful place.

      Delete
  11. I'd go to New Jersey.

    AFTER, I go almost everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to all the eastern states. So I had to go back.

      Delete
  12. A good friend of mine is from New Jersey. I like to give her grief about it and make a lot of obvious jokes (which never get old, because I'm the one telling them). I should send her a link to this entry, though, and remind her that some people in this world still have nice things to say about New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      There are a lot of good spots to visit in NJ. Especially if you are visiting family & friends.

      Delete
  13. We once stayed at a hotel in Virginia called the "Your Inn" hotel. When we walked in we realized the significance of the name. The place smelled like urine. URINE HOTEL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of a motel I stayed at in Vancouver. I couldn't understand how and why the sink would smell like urine.

      Delete

Thoughts?