Monday

Zombies

The Walking Dead has been on hiatus since December and with the second half of the season starting on February 9th, let us take a look back at the start of fourth season and forward to the upcoming episodes. The story surrounds a former sheriff, Rick, and his son in a world overrun by the walking dead, essentially zombies. 
The Walking Dead new season

Season four on AMC started up with Rick and his group of survivors holed up in a prison, the big walls and cages formerly used to keep criminals in, now used to keep the walking dead out. Surving a secondary purpose as well, it offers some sort of protection against the monsters of the new world, the other human survivors.
And the Governor came back, making peace with his losses and seemingly no longer with a chip on his shoulder. But we saw that the Governor still crosses those lines Rick will not, in the anything goes attempt to survive.
The Walking Dead
Conditions have changed radically for Rick, Carl, Michonne, and the rest of survivors as the mid-season finale saw the prison breached. The outcome of The Governor’s final attack, also saw the group splintered leaving Rick and Carl on their own, with the well-being of the rest of the crew in question, and more members either dead, or presumed dead or lost.

Typical of the television series and the novels from which it was inspired, season four and TWD in general, is filled with twists and turns. Any regular viewer, will by now have realized, no one is safe. The only constants in the Walking Dead are zombies, zombie swarms and that characters die.

Attempting to find additional realism in a world of post-apocalyptic fantasy, the survivors of Rick's team are faced with an everyday malady. A virus is killing off the healthy members.

Any of the main characters could die or disappear at any moment. Your time invested to get to know any one of them may be for naught.

Part of the back story, humans are infected if they get bit. Or, if they die they will awaken as zombies. So, let us assume the bite causes the infection via a blood infection. Otherwise, if it were an airborne infection, there would be no show. Everybody would be zombies. So, if the infection is passed on through blood, why don't the survivors get infected by blood splatter? They don't wear masks, or goggles, yet they are covered by zombie blood and guts.

Okay, okay, suspending belief is required in most fantasy stories. 

So what's up next for the Rick, Glenn, Michonne and the rest of the survivors? I won't reveal any spoiler details. That wouldn't be fair. But the upcoming few episodes will show how some stay safe, and others move on to face new challenges. They won't have each other to fall back on as the group was splintered. Untied we stand. Divided? Check out the Walking Dead season four mid season preview below.



Apparently this is part of a Writing Challenge. To see more, go to www.WeWorkForCheese.com . Today's theme is Zombies.

16 comments:

  1. I'm not big on Zombies. I really haven't watched this show. Now if you talked to me about Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland I would have engaged. I loved those movies. Same goes for vampires. I don't get people's interest in either zombies or vampires. But, hey. I love Bob Dylan and there are those who don't. (By the way, he's kinda looking like zombie these days.) To each his or her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland... loved em both. Otherwise, I don't do zombies, either.

      Delete
    2. Those were both terrific. TWD takes a different approach. A little more gruesome and no laughs.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry - I didn't read your blog - in case I ever wanted to watch this show - I didn't want to read the spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not watched the show so I enjoyed your recap. Now I need to begin work on my Zombie-proof bunker.

    Later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starters kit
      1- Food and water.
      2- Secured doors.
      3-First aid kit.
      4-Weapon.

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched this show, but I know it has a huge following. It sounds intriguing and I may watch sometime when I can start at the beginning. I hate jumping into the middle of a series and have a ton of questions that were answered in the beginning, or at least lead up to bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also read the graphic novels on which the show is based. The show has been rewritten so as not to be predictable for those who read the books.

      Delete
  5. It was an AWESOME show last night. Did you see Talking Dead when they brought out Hershel's head? That was so cool looking! I AM SO MAD HE IS DEAD!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made him eat pudding!
      He was a great character. They needed Hershel to replace Dale, even for a little while.

      Delete
  6. No!! Lalalalalalalala. I can't read this, I still have all of the fourth season sitting on my hard drive, waiting for my life to calm down enough for me to watch it. I hope it happens sooner rather than later, I need some walking dead in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I was trying to spare everyone from spoilers for the second half of the season. I assumed everyone had seen the first half. And by the way, Rosebud, is his sled.

      Delete
  7. Man, I've only seen half an episode of Walking Dead from Season One. I enjoyed it, but I just never made time to watch the rest of it. I hear it's really good, and then the show gets progressively more ridiculous. I guess I should sit down one day and find out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is excellent drama. Broken up by some action. And a lot of gore.

      Delete

Thoughts?