Saturday

Damn the Torpedoes

Tom Petty Damn The Torpedoes

Damn the Torpedoes became Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' first top ten album. Produced by Petty and Jimmy Iovine, the album reached double platinum status. The album brought together rock, folk, country and blues in what has become Petty and the Heartbreakers’ signature style.

Damn the Torpedoes can arguably be called Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' magnus opus. A little bit of the Stones and a little bit the Byrds, yet completely modern for its 1979 release.

Previous classics from Petty included, American Girl and Listen to the Heart. Damn the Torpedoes dropped more classics on the world with Refugee, Here Comes My Girl, Even the Losers and Don't Do Me Like That.
Few rock albums from the era were as powerful as this. 

Re-released in 2010, one of the greatest rock albums of all time was shored up with nine bonus tracks.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, during their first year of eligibility in 2002 and are one of very few artists to score a top five record on the Billboard charts in five consecutive decades.



Apparently this is part of a Writing Challenge. To see more, go to www.WeWorkForCheese.com . Today's theme is Damn.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent album - saw him twice in concert and they were fantastic shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Shawn, thanks for the music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend and I were discussing Tom Petty the other day. Nifty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always been a fan of Tom Petty. Didn't even think of this album for the prompt... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up listening to classic rock, I always liked that album :-) Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great write-up, Shawn. I've always enjoyed Tom Petty, but I've only ever recognized him as a guy who has a bunch of hits on the radio. I never dug that deep into his discography. Thanks for giving people like me some perspective on Tom Petty's career.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We should have all told Nicky "Don't do me like that" when she suggested this little blog fest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, I haven't heard that song in ages! Good one.


    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw Tom Petty many years ago. He was awesome!!!!! I remember lots of references to pot and a gorgeous blonde waiting for him on the side!

    ReplyDelete
  10. American Girl always makes me think of Fast Times at Ridgemont High and a certain scene. Haha. Classic stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?