Tuesday

Gerry Rafferty Right Down the Line

The Scottish singer and songwriter Gerry Rafferty died earlier today following a long illness. Perhaps most famously known for his song Stuck in the Middle With You he recorded as a member of Stealers Wheel, Rafferty also had an extensive solo career releasing 14 albums. His 1978 LP City to City hit number 1 on the U.S. charts and number 6 on the U.K. charts producing the top 12 hit Right Down the Line and the number 2 song Baker Street. Bars with the name Baker Street popped up world wide in the late 70s.
Jerry Rafferty - Baker Street


You're goin'
You're goin' home.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment about Gerry. I smiled at what you said about being raised half by MASH. It was one of my favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's seriously his voice on the Stealers Wheel version of Stuck in the Middle With You? He sounds so much like Bob Dylan and yet his voice sounds nothing like Dylan on "Baker Street."

    Also, I never, ever pay attention to the lyrics of a song so I was surprised to learn that this song was about alienation, etc. I just liked the saxophone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While Raferrty did sing, I think Joe Egan performed the lead vocals for Stealers Wheel. I remember reading that the song was intending as a parody of the Bob Dylan writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the song Stuck in the Middle With You - but I cant listen to it without thinking of the movie Reservoir Dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, Reservoir Dogs is the first thing I think of too. I just upped the link to what I believe is the original video to the song. See above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love Gerry Rafferty. He died the same year and day that my boyfriend Jack did. I listen to Right Down the Line all the time and I think of Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, thanks for stopping by. Sorry for your loss.
      Hope the music keeps bringing good memories.

      Delete

Thoughts?