Sunday

Great Chili Recipe

I'm going to call this one the greatest chili recipe ever. It also may be the easiest chili recipe to make. Either way, it is delicious and I will take you through the steps.

It was my turn to cook. I had some ground beef, a growling stomach and a beautiful wife. (That has nothing to do with the recipe but she is bound to read this.)

I last made chili a couple years ago but wanted an improved and easier recipe to follow. I found one I liked called Texas-Style Chili but we didn't have the needed ingredients. I had garlic and salt. That's about it. It is amazing how two things called chili could have completely different ingredients.

I often cook based on what I have handy and compensate by changing up the recipes. I will list the ingredients. Keep in my the measurements are in Metric. I will include Imperial but they aren't round numbers so you may have to make small adjustments. This what I used

Starting Chili Ingredients
Ingredients:
0.368 kilograms of lean ground beef (0.81 pounds)
1 - 540 ml. can of Red Kidney Beans (2.3 cups)
1 - 540 ml. can of Chick Peas (Garbanzo beans) (2.3 cups)
3 medium size Sausages
1 and 1/2 cups of Chicken Broth
1 medium sliced Red Pepper
6 medium Mushrooms, sliced
A handful of cherry tomatoes
1/2 a Carrot, diced
1 clove Garlic, chopped or minced
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 teaspoons crushed Oregano
2 teaspoons Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed Chili Pepper
Tobasco sauce
3 tablespoons of Breadcrumbs or Cornmeal
cooking Oil
Simmer the vegetables

A lot of this is based on personal taste and, as I mentioned, what ingredients are available. For example, I like merguez sausages. The spices really complimented this recipe. Also, while my source recipe called for beef broth I substituted chicken broth. And, lastly, cornmeal was recommend, while I used rice flour breadcrumbs instead.
If you use dried beans, let them soak first. Then after drained add to the recipe. Canned beans can be rinsed and added to the mix.
The chili is almost done

Steps:
In a large hot skillet, greased with your favourite cooking oil, brown the ground beef, garlic and sausages. You can drain off the excess fat at this point.

Stir in the chicken broth, sugar, oregano, cumin, chili pepper, salt and Tabasco.

Reduce the heat to a simmer. Leave covered for 30 minutes.
Add in the carrots, red pepper and tomatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the garbanzo and kidney beans. Stir and then add the breadcrumbs and mushrooms. Let simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Serve with corn bread or eat it by itself. Serves six. Enjoy! I will definitely make this batch of chili again. It was quick to prepare and a delicious recipe.
Serve the chili with a big spoon

2 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a chili fan, but I have to say this has more stuff than I've seen in a long time in a chili. Interesting setup for chili, that's for sure. Is it spicy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As spicy as you want to make it. Add chili peppers or tobasco sauce in any quantity, You can also add hot peppers to the mix. If you aren't a fan of chili, you can also reduce the beans and add in more meat.

      Delete

Thoughts?