Sunday

I've Got a Boner

I was going to call this post 'Things I don't say anymore', but, 'I've got a boner' has a better ring to it. As for the reason I don't say it any more, it is not because I don't have one. I mean to say it's not that I have one at the moment. I probably just don't talk about it as much.
But just like boners, expressions come and go. The terms we use also change, many are influenced by pop culture and the latest TV shows. The 50s term 'cool' was replaced in the seventies by 'keen'. Along came Happy Days and back came 'cool'. It's never really gone away since. The 80s brought 'gnarly', and some of the 'douches' I worked with in the late 80s and went to college with in the 90s used the word 'dandy' for the same thing. The term 'douche' only became more popular in the last couple years. I find it the perfect expression for the fool that tries too hard to be 'cool'. When did 'rad' come along?

I scoured my brain and then asked some friends for some suggestions

-Airhead replaced the less popular space cadet
-Barf Me Out - Were you a Valley Girl? Never a term I used. Perhaps the poor cousin of "Gross".
-Big Time - I used this for a while, big time.
-Bite me - Later became 'Eat me'. Eat me was the better term because not only could it be a response to an offending question, not only an insult, but also a slightly humorous, slightly flirtatious comment to be made at inappropriate times. Trust me, I have made plenty of inappropriate comments at inappropriate times.
-Bubba - replaceable with "man", as in "Hey man" or "Hey bubba". This came out of the late 90s TV series Nash Bridges. I used it from time to time and the expression caught on just as much as the TV show. That's to say, not a whole lot. A colleague of mine had a man crush on me and overheard me using it. Ten years later he still calls me bubba.
-Sup - As in 'What is Up?', or 'How are you?'
-As if!Popularized by Alicia Silverstone in Clueless.
-Don't go there! - One of the most overused expressions. So, please, don't go there.
-Dude - Another 80s term that resurfaced. Use it as a noun or as an exclamation. 'Hey dude'. Or, 'Dude!'.
-TMIToo much information.
-What a Fag - I swear, I haven't called anyone a fag since I was in grade three. 
-Doy - A bastardization of 'Duh'. The sarcastic 'No Shit'.
- Keep it wet - No clue how this started, or what the hell it means.
-Woof - See previous
There are more out there, great expressions and insults to really pwn someone. Damn! I can't think of any more.


3 comments:

  1. Fuckin' A, Sick, Mental, Classic, Awesome... to name a few (more)

    ReplyDelete
  2. meleah, please use it in a sentence.

    Max Power welcome to the site. Fuckin' A.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?