Saturday

Carpool Tunnel Syndrome

Since my car has been in the shop, or out of commission for the better part of the last few weeks, I've been getting lifts to work. I carpool by necessity rather than for the greater purpose of protecting the environment. A colleague of mine has been kind enough to give me a ride to work nearly every day.

A skilled driver, she is probably better suited to drive on the local F1 or NASCAR circuit then the highways and side streets. She is aware of the cars around her but drives too fast and weaves in and out of traffic too much for my liking. On top of that, she gets angry at every driver around her.
She may be reading this.

I've written about road rage before. Road rage isn't just about getting out of your car, getting into fights, or giving someone the finger. Road rage is also about your conduct while driving. Hand gestures of any kind, apart from a polite wave, are inappropriate. Cutting someone off just because they are driving the speed limit is inappropriate.
Constantly switching lanes to try to bypass traffic will only infuriate other drivers. Getting upset with someone for flashing their brake lights at you is ridiculous - especially if you are tailgating them. Swerving around them and intentionally slamming on your brakes to get them back is criminal.

I heard one radio psychologist offer an explanation. She indicated that emotional immaturity would be the most likely cause of road rage. The individual is not capable of considering the other person’s perspective or emotions.

Calm by nature, I am a different person behind the wheel. I have adapted, changed because I do not want to kill or be killed.

Her attitude is perhaps similar to my attitude of old; always in a rush, always the need to move. I got over it for the most part when I was 23. It has been a battle for me. Road rage did not suit me. One fight. One argument. One time flipping someone off. I haven't put myself in a serious situation in 20 years. My last minor incident was four years ago where I was dumb enough to get out of my car. Clarity struck and I talked the other guy back into his car. He was pulling back to take a swing when I used some very convincing words to get him to turn around and walk away. Crazy sometimes helps you win.


The other morning I was running late. I was finishing off a post and was having trouble with the kicker. I did not want to be late and I did not want my driver to wait. She is anxious enough on the road as it is. So at 7AM I finally post my story, hop into the shower, shave, get dressed, and go outside for 7:15 just as she pulled up. Some things will just have to wait until later. And I saved myself some money in the meantime. Did I mention that I am taking the Metro on Monday?

4 comments:

  1. It takes you 15 minutes to get ready? It takes me at least that long just to prep my waxing kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I am fair haired. So I don't need to wax daily.
    But seriously folks, I need 45 minutes. I prefer an hour and 15.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Clarity struck and I talked the other guy back into his car. He was pulling back to take a swing when I used some very convincing words to get him to turn around and walk away. Crazy sometimes helps you win."

    Ok... now I have to know.
    What crazy thing did you say to make him turn around and walk away?

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?