Sunday

Office Girls Gone Wild

Another office Holiday party is in the books. That makes it two down and two to go. First there was the department managers' party, then last night was the company party, next is the department party and then there is the company wide managers' party. That is a lot of food and alcohol and a lot of money that could be better spent elsewhere. Three of the four parties are paid for by the company. I am hoping they will be as generous with the end of year pay raises.
no, not me
The plan last night was to show my face, have a drink, say hi to everyone and head on my way. I figured two hours would be sufficient. I really was not expecting much in the way of fun, I also have a personal rule against partying with coworkers. I have witnessed it time and time again, the abuse of boundaries at work parties. I have always been of the belief that a certain restraint must be shown amongst coworkers and the people you have to face on the Monday morning after. We work so hard at building up our careers why throw out this hard earned image in one night?
Friends are friends and colleagues are colleagues. That being said, the two hours somehow rolled into six hours. I type this slightly slow and slightly tired today. Sunday is a good day to do nothing. I did not abuse the boundaries, just my liver.


*** I think this is worth an update. It's Monday and the emails and stories are spreading throughout the office. Remember the days we would pose for pictures because we only had 24 exposures in the roll? Digital camera allow us to snap hundreds of shots without worry of waste. I recall seeing at least three digital cameras at the party and others snapping pics on their phones. You're on candid camera. I received no less than 180 photos in my email this morning. Some are the usual posing for photos, some are of people dancing or hugging, others are of the 'what's he going to tell his wife' or 'is that so-and-so lying on the floor' variety.

So far I've only seen two pictures where I am the victim subject and in both I am posing with some colleagues in some sort of huddle. I think I am off the hook.

4 comments:

  1. Man, you are such a tease. Where are the Office Girls Gone Wild? With all your talk about boundaries being breached, I was expecting some vomit, or at least a description of some highly inappropriate behaviour. But nada.

    What gives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mike,
    1-At least one person was forced into a cab as they were unable to drive home. 2-I was hit on by several of my coworkers. 3-Most of the people were drunk. 4-Pictures will likely be posted to Facebook in the coming days. 5-Some of this is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh back in the day when I used to have to go to office parties I cant even begin to tell you the stories of inappropriate behavior. Glad you only abused your liver!

    But 4 parties for 1 company? Wow, that seems excessive. And like you said, it's money that would have been better spent going into people's paychecks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. meleah,
    And now I have to start making New Year's plans.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?