Wednesday

In Memory


People die. We cannot do anything to stop death. Medical science has enabled us to prolong life. I am not talking of eating better. I'm speaking in more general terms. I have tried to approach the topic of death more than once since I started my blog. I wrote about my uncle and aunt but beyond this was not able to put my thoughts together.

We do not dwell on death but, your own mortal existence comes into focus with shocking speed when someone your own ago dies. In senior year high school a classmate was killed in a car accident. Two years following graduation, a former classmate was shot by a police officer. A few years back my cousin, an Israeli army veteran, died on the operating table during what was supposed to be minor surgery. Two colleagues and friends died from cancer, Joel in 2002, Patrick, who was also a mentor, in 2006.

These events, when they happen, are eye opening and can shake you from an otherwise peaceful existence that we, for the most part take for granted.

An old friend, Ian, died last week. he was 43 years old. He died suddenly, leaving behind two children, a wife, a brother, parents and a lot of friends wondering why and how. As I write this I do not know the cause of death. the obituary reads "suddenly".

We all leave legacies and imprints. And as I ponder his loss I say, he left behind children as part of his legacy. At least that.

I've seen more, done more than most people I know. But those are the things you take with you to the grave. What do you leave behind? Family, children, teachings and memories. And then I think again to my own life and consider what my legacy will be. I am not done yet. Too many things to do. A wife, and a child are priorities. In small part, let this be added to your legacy... Derrick, Joel, Patrick, Ian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?